Wednesday, April 16, 2008

VT: We Remember

How is everyone doing today? Good, I hope. So, today is the one year anniversary of the Virginia Tech massacre. I think that massacre is the right word. It is defined as an indiscriminant killing of a large number of human beings. Thirty two is a pretty big number for just one man to have killed by himself.
It doesn’t seem like it’s been a year. It seems like it was just a few months ago. Perhaps big events tend to stay better in the long our long term memories. For instance. Does it seem like it’s been eight years since September 11?
I guess that I really have no reason for talking about this other than just to have something to write about. I wonder what possesses a person to commit such a heinous act against humanity. As far as I saw, there was no basis for the attack, other than the fact that the guy was more than just a little strange. Did you read any of his literary exploits? They definitely reflected the thoughts of a disturbed individual.
Anyways. There is a day of mourning at VT today. They got the day off and all that stuff.

2 comments:

. said...

It does feel weird that it’s been a year since that happened. I was taking two classes last spring, and I remember hearing all of the talk about it and not really knowing what to think. At that point I felt like I was only pretending to be a college student, so I guess I wasn’t as affected as I assumed the ‘real’ students were.

Carlin said...

I remember when I first heard about the massacre and it really made me think a lot about U of M. I thought, "huh, there could be a messed up person around here too". I can't imagine how horrible that would be. I don't like dwelling on it at all. And I wish I knew why some people are that crazy.